Does gender bias matter? You can see for yourself thanks to an interactive app created by software engineer Penelope Hill at doesgenderbiasmatter.com. In this episode, we interview Penelope about what prompted her to create the app, some of the research behind it, and a few of the ways people in science and technology fields are working to overcome bias.
To listen to this podcast episode, click here.
Want more podcast episodes? You can find them all on our podcast page, or you can subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher.
ABOUT THIS EPISODE
- Penelope Hill on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Does Gender Bias Matter? App
- “Melinda Gates: The Tech Industry Needs to Fix Its Gender Problem—Now” by Gillian White in The Atlantic
- “White House women want to be in the room where it happens” by Juliet Eilperin in The Washington Post
- Avoiding Gender Bias in Reference Writing ASU handout
- Small Pond Science blog post by Terry McGlynn about the gender bias in a recent list of 100 most important papers in ecology
Interviewee: Penelope Hill
Producer/Host: Miriam Krause